Working on the engine generally makes me nervous. I guess it's just a lack of confidence. I did install the press fit harmonic balancer by heating it with a torch and smacking it on. I made a jig so it would go on straight. My thanks goes out to Stovebolt Forum member Hotrod Lincoln for giving me some good installation tips.
Looks like the alternator doesn't line up with the fan and crank pulley. It's the same alternator that was on it when I pulled the engine from the 66 parts truck but I never noticed it didn't line up until now.
My manifolds seem to be in good usable shape. When I bought the truck, the heat riser flap was broken, so I removed it. Tom Langdon and others say that it's needed in order for the engine to run properly so I had a friend help me weld it back in place. The first photo shows the position when the engine is cold. The flap inside is vertical and forces some of the exhaust upwards to heat the intake.
The next photo shows the position when the control spring is heated. The heat makes the spring curl tighter causing the inner flap to move horizontally and direct the majority of the exhaust downward and away from the intake manifold.
This last photo shows the flap in the nearly closed position prior to making the repair.
See my BLOG entries from prior months below:
My Hobbies are:
- Main BLOG Page
- The Purchase
T5 Info Page
- Thinking about installing a T5? READ THIS FIRST
- Making a Custom Shifter
- Complete T5 Driveline - Installation from Engine to Rear Axle
- S10 T5 Transmission Jeep Shaft Swap - DIY and skip the adapter plate.
- Camaro Drive Gear Relocation
- T5 Tail Stock with a Cable Speedo Connection
- World Class and Non-World Class versions of the T5 - How to tell them apart.
- A possible solution for cable speedometers.
- T5 Transmission Identification - What the Tags and Markings Mean
- What's the difference between a Camaro T5, an S10 T5, and an Astro T5?
- How to determine the T5 gearing
- T5 Transmission Rebuild
- T5 pre-purchase inspection and questions
- T5 Resource List
- T5 Case Inspection
- Bell housing differences
- T5 Drive Gear and Driven Gear Combinations
- A Camaro T5 with the S10 Conversion
Tips & Tricks Section
- DIY 3 Point Seat Belt Installation
- Making the Steering Column Safer
- How to improve gauge cluster lighting.
- Stripping Paint - Polycarbide Abrassive Wheel
- Jeep Cherokee Door Check Modification - Very Simple
- Steering column modification
- A simple way to remove old control arm bushings.
- An easy way to adjust brake shoes
- How to remove a pilot bushing from the crankshaft.
- Cutting spot welds
- E-brake clip removal made easy
- POR 15 with less mess.
- Engine Dolly - EZ to make
- Steering Wheel Restoration Page
- Other Projects
- Random Pics