Even though the wood needs another coat of paint, I mocked up the bed wood tonight. The rear cross sill needs minor modification. I scratched my head a few times trying to figure out where the bolts in the bed kit are supposed to go, but I think I have that figured out. The next step will be to plug weld the angle strips to the bed sides.
Painting multiple coats on stuff gets boring. Another coat of exterior enamel on the wood, then a top coat of high temp low gloss black on the bottom of the metal bed strips. For fun I installed the door mirrors. I had 2 small chrome plated bullet tips laying around and they fit nicely on the mirrors. Later, I will put the mirror nut inside the bullet tip for a flush fit.
My new order of SPI epoxy primer arrived this week so I sprayed a second fairly heavy coat on the back of the cab, bed and rear fenders today. The bed strips were lightly sandblasted to give them some texture for the KBS Rustseal to grip to. While the KBS Rustseal was drying I top coated the bed wood with satin black Behr Premium Plus exterior latex enamel.
Since my 1965 C10 truck will be a working truck, I'm gonna paint the bed wood black like it came from the factory. The MAR-K Company published test results comparing different bed wood finishes and paint was the superior product hands down. The best results used POR-15 as a base covered by Behr exterior latex enamel. Since I had some KBS Rustseal left over, I used it for a base coat today. Tomorrow I'll apply the exterior latex enamel.
I installed the center lap belt and gave the seat belts a final tightening. The doors went on very quickly. My goal is to have the truck driving by September. I will then continue doing body work and upgrades while I enjoy driving it for a while. I bought the truck 4 years ago and I need to enjoy it a little to keep my motivation.
My new 3 point seat belts arrived last week. The mounting bolts arrived today so I started my installation. I'm taking lots of photos for a step by step DIY installation that'll be posted in the Tips & Tricks Section. I drilled some holes in the floor but didn't get to do the holes for the shoulder strap anchor. Might do those this weekend. The shoulder anchor nut and washer will get welded to the cab wall. Good thing I don't have any gas in the tank yet. Installed an in-line fuel filter too.
The PS bracket needed to be bent open a little.
The seat belt mechanism will now be more vertical.
The support washer beneath the cab floor needed a little shaping too.
This anchor hole is in the factory position in front of the fuel line.
A matching hole on the DS floor.
The DS hole I made could be about a half inch closer to the door sill, but it works well enough that I will not change it.
The mechanism is as far away from the door as possible but still might bump. I will test it this weekend.
Preval makes special aerosol cans that are useful when you need to spray paint in small quantities for small projects. They will spray about 16oz. of paint and only have clean air inside. I tried one tonight and was pretty pleased overall. I needed to spray additional epoxy on the roof, cab and hood, so tonight was a good time to test the Preval aerosol can. Simply fill the jar 3/4 full and start spraying.
See my BLOG entries from prior months below:
My Hobbies are:
- Main BLOG Page
- Steering Column Page
T5 Info Page
- Thinking about installing a T5? READ THIS FIRST
- My T5 videos
- Making a Custom Shifter
- Complete T5 Driveline - Installation from Engine to Rear Axle
- S10 T5 Transmission Jeep Shaft Swap - DIY and skip the adapter plate.
- Camaro Drive Gear Relocation
- T5 Tail Stock with a Cable Speedo Connection
- World Class and Non-World Class versions of the T5 - How to tell them apart.
- How to determine the T5 gearing
- A possible solution for cable speedometers.
- T5 Transmission Identification - What the Tags and Markings Mean
- What's the difference between a Camaro T5, an S10 T5, and an Astro T5?
- T5 Transmission Tear Down
- T5 S10 Transmission Rebuild
- T5 Transmission Rebuild
- T5 pre-purchase inspection and questions
- T5 Resource List
- T5 Case Inspection
- Bell housing differences
- T5 Drive Gear and Driven Gear Combinations
- A Camaro T5 with the S10 Conversion
Tips & Tricks Section
- Broken Bolt Extraction
- DIY 3 Point Seat Belt Installation
- 1963 Chevy C10 Steering Column Removal
- 1963 Chevy C10 Steering Column Disassembly
- 1963 Chevy C10 Steering Column Rebuild
- 1963 Chevy C10 Steering Column Installation
- Easy Clutch Pedal Adjustment
- Making the Steering Column Safer
- How to improve gauge cluster lighting.
- Stripping Paint - Polycarbide Abrassive Wheel
- Jeep Cherokee Door Check Modification - Very Simple
- Keeping the hood aligned
- DIY All Cable Ebrake System for 1963-1972 C10
- Alignment Tools - Easier than you think
- Conversion to dual master cylinder brakes 1963-1966 C10.
- Steering column modification
- A simple way to remove old control arm bushings.
- An easy way to adjust brake shoes
- How to remove a pilot bushing from the crankshaft.
- Cutting spot welds
- E-brake clip removal made easy
- Harmonic Balancer Installation - Tapping threads in the crank
- POR 15 with less mess.
- Engine Dolly - EZ to make
- Steering Wheel Restoration Page
- Power Brake Booster Page
- Other Projects
- Random Pics