Just back from the salvage yard! Man, I love that place! You may recall that the bottom right corner of my tailgate was crushed and I reworked it, but in the end, it still needed additional reshaping to look right. Well, there was a tailgate at the salvage yard with an undamaged right rear corner, so I cut it out and took home a chunk for a patch panel. The rest of the tailgate was in poor shape, so using it to replace mine was not an option.
Today I bought a used Clarke 130en MIG welder. Found it on Craigslist for about half the price of a new one. My buddy came with me to check it out and then we went to his house to try it out because he has a tank of argon gas. So, tonight was my first time welding EVER! Now I need to buy some supplies and then practice!
I worked on my tailgate again today. But the best part of the day was getting some cool parts at the salvage yard. A spare hood and some cowl corner pieces. I bought the wheels from a guy on Craigslist earlier this week at a good price!
The hood is in really good shape. The usual rusty areas don't look bad at all.
The tailgate is harder to strip than a smooth panel because of the raised letters and will need some paint remover and extra sanding.
See my BLOG entries from prior months below:
My Hobbies are:
- Main BLOG Page
- Steering Column Page
T5 Info Page
- Thinking about installing a T5? READ THIS FIRST
- My T5 videos
- Making a Custom Shifter
- Complete T5 Driveline - Installation from Engine to Rear Axle
- S10 T5 Transmission Jeep Shaft Swap - DIY and skip the adapter plate.
- Camaro Drive Gear Relocation
- T5 Tail Stock with a Cable Speedo Connection
- World Class and Non-World Class versions of the T5 - How to tell them apart.
- How to determine the T5 gearing
- A possible solution for cable speedometers.
- T5 Transmission Identification - What the Tags and Markings Mean
- What's the difference between a Camaro T5, an S10 T5, and an Astro T5?
- T5 Transmission Tear Down
- T5 Transmission Rebuild
- T5 pre-purchase inspection and questions
- T5 Resource List
- T5 Case Inspection
- Bell housing differences
- T5 Drive Gear and Driven Gear Combinations
- A Camaro T5 with the S10 Conversion
Tips & Tricks Section
- Broken Bolt Extraction
- DIY 3 Point Seat Belt Installation
- 1963 Chevy C10 Steering Column Removal
- 1963 Chevy C10 Steering Column Disassembly
- 1963 Chevy C10 Steering Column Rebuild
- 1963 Chevy C10 Steering Column Installation
- Easy Clutch Pedal Adjustment
- Making the Steering Column Safer
- How to improve gauge cluster lighting.
- Stripping Paint - Polycarbide Abrassive Wheel
- Jeep Cherokee Door Check Modification - Very Simple
- Keeping the hood aligned
- DIY All Cable Ebrake System for 1963-1972 C10
- Alignment Tools - Easier than you think
- Conversion to dual master cylinder brakes 1963-1966 C10.
- Steering column modification
- A simple way to remove old control arm bushings.
- An easy way to adjust brake shoes
- How to remove a pilot bushing from the crankshaft.
- Cutting spot welds
- E-brake clip removal made easy
- Harmonic Balancer Installation - Tapping threads in the crank
- POR 15 with less mess.
- Engine Dolly - EZ to make
- Steering Wheel Restoration Page
- Power Brake Booster Page
- Other Projects
- Random Pics