I took my truck off the jack stands today and took it for a drive, Lots of fun. I've never driven the truck with this 250ci engine and T5 transmission, A friend of mine is driving it during the last half of the video.
I made a custom shifter today. Great fun! It turned out even better than I had hoped for. I have it tack welded right now but I'll drill and then tap and thread the bolt holes later this week. Here's a link to the whole project.
Since the T5 is longer than the original 3 speed tranny, I used some directions I found on the internet to determine what length shaft I would need. I showed the measurments to the drive shaft shop. They shortened, welded and balanced everything the same day. The shop that did the work needs lessons on how to paint stuff. LOL! So now my original shaft has new universal joints and a T5 yoke. So naturally I just had to install it tonight.
After work I installed my hybrid V8 Camaro NWC T5 transmssion. Things went smoothly. After it was bolted to the bell I adjusted the clutch linkage to ensure proper movement of the release bearing. My helper depressed the clutch pedal and I was able to turn the tail shaft by hand with the T5 in gear and unable to turn it when the pedal was released. That test confirms that the pressure plate is properly releasing the disc and that the pilot tip is not binding in the pilot bushing. Next is the drive shaft.
I will be using Pennzoil Synchromesh as the lubricant for this NWC T5.
Release bearing in place on the clutch fork.
Secured to the bell with new bolts and washers.
Clutch linkage adjustment is pretty simple.
I bench bled the master cylinder today and attempted to bleed the air from the brake lines. I'll work on it again tomorrow.
The reproduction clips I bought needed a little tweaking so they work properly. They are designed to hold the clutch linkage pieces together. They weren't quite the right shape to work properly so I bent the new clips as close to the shape of the originals as possible. The factory clip is on the bottom.
See my BLOG entries from prior months below:
My Hobbies are:
- Main BLOG Page
- The Purchase
T5 Info Page
- Thinking about installing a T5? READ THIS FIRST
- My T5 videos
- Making a Custom Shifter
- Complete T5 Driveline - Installation from Engine to Rear Axle
- S10 T5 Transmission Jeep Shaft Swap - DIY and skip the adapter plate.
- Camaro Drive Gear Relocation
- T5 Tail Stock with a Cable Speedo Connection
- World Class and Non-World Class versions of the T5 - How to tell them apart.
- A possible solution for cable speedometers.
- T5 Transmission Identification - What the Tags and Markings Mean
- What's the difference between a Camaro T5, an S10 T5, and an Astro T5?
- How to determine the T5 gearing
- T5 Transmission Rebuild
- T5 pre-purchase inspection and questions
- T5 Resource List
- T5 Case Inspection
- Bell housing differences
- T5 Drive Gear and Driven Gear Combinations
- A Camaro T5 with the S10 Conversion
Tips & Tricks Section
- DIY 3 Point Seat Belt Installation
- Easy Clutch Pedal Adjustment
- Making the Steering Column Safer
- How to improve gauge cluster lighting.
- Stripping Paint - Polycarbide Abrassive Wheel
- Jeep Cherokee Door Check Modification - Very Simple
- Conversion to dual master cylinder brakes 1963-1966 C10.
- Steering column modification
- A simple way to remove old control arm bushings.
- An easy way to adjust brake shoes
- How to remove a pilot bushing from the crankshaft.
- Cutting spot welds
- E-brake clip removal made easy
- POR 15 with less mess.
- Engine Dolly - EZ to make
- Harminic Balancer Installation - Tapping threads in the crank
- Steering Wheel Restoration Page
- Other Projects
- Random Pics