My DS door repair has been a week long project. I finally cut the patch after checking and rechecking the measurments. It was a good fit. The preparation paid off with a good result. I also used my stud gun to pull some dents on the DS door. Some filler will finish the job.
I replaced my stock door checks with a Jeep Cherokee door check. The 1965 factory door check only goes to full open. The Jeep Cherokee check has 2 detents which is nice for parking lots and windy days. I found out about this upgrade from a forum I belong to. The Jeep Cherokee from 1984 - 2001 should have the correct door check to replace the stock Chevy truck door check. I pulled 6 door checks from the local salvage yard. Two have the rubber stop and the other 4 don't. I like the ones without the rubber stop. Here's a link to more info.
My PS door needed a few repairs before attaching a new outer skin. I replaced a missing captured nut for the door panel and made a patch to repair some holes near the top of the window frame where a mirror bracket was mounted. I'm pretty pleased with the result. The rust holes in the bottom corner were welded up but the metal was pretty thin there. I hope it lasts a while. A new door skin will go on next month.
I've decided to use the blue door instead of my original door. The brace inside the door jam of my original door was very difficult to remove. After drilling out about 20 spot welds, I decided to just give up. Further inspection of the blue door shows that it's in superb shape. It will take plenty of work to restore it but it's an excellent candidate. I have the supplies needed to rebuild the hinges.
See my BLOG entries from prior months below:
My Hobbies are:
- Main BLOG Page
- The Purchase
T5 Info Page
- Thinking about installing a T5? READ THIS FIRST
- Making a Custom Shifter
- Complete T5 Driveline - Installation from Engine to Rear Axle
- S10 T5 Transmission Jeep Shaft Swap - DIY and skip the adapter plate.
- Camaro Drive Gear Relocation
- T5 Tail Stock with a Cable Speedo Connection
- World Class and Non-World Class versions of the T5 - How to tell them apart.
- A possible solution for cable speedometers.
- T5 Transmission Identification - What the Tags and Markings Mean
- What's the difference between a Camaro T5, an S10 T5, and an Astro T5?
- How to determine the T5 gearing
- T5 Transmission Rebuild
- T5 pre-purchase inspection and questions
- T5 Resource List
- T5 Case Inspection
- Bell housing differences
- T5 Drive Gear and Driven Gear Combinations
- A Camaro T5 with the S10 Conversion
Tips & Tricks Section
- DIY 3 Point Seat Belt Installation
- Making the Steering Column Safer
- How to improve gauge cluster lighting.
- Stripping Paint - Polycarbide Abrassive Wheel
- Jeep Cherokee Door Check Modification - Very Simple
- Steering column modification
- A simple way to remove old control arm bushings.
- An easy way to adjust brake shoes
- How to remove a pilot bushing from the crankshaft.
- Cutting spot welds
- E-brake clip removal made easy
- POR 15 with less mess.
- Engine Dolly - EZ to make
- Steering Wheel Restoration Page
- Other Projects
- Random Pics