I bought this abrasive wheel at Harbor Freight. It has 150 grit bristles and looked like it would be worth a try. I can't recommend it. It doesn't work very well. A wire wheel works faster. Oh well, it didn't cost much.
I drug out some pieces and applied POR-15 on the rusty areas. I DO RECOMMEND POR-15. It makes life very easy.
A GMC hood front panel is different than a Chevy hood. The turn signals have a different shape too and are not reproduced in the aftermarket. Thankfully, my buckets are in great shape and look even better after sanding and paint. I used "chrome" paint on the inside of the bucket. It certainly is not as shiny as chrome but will be much brighter than the OEM bucket was from the factory.
Folks with GMC hoods sometimes have a hard time finding good turn signal buckets, so I started making a pattern from paper and cereal box cardboard. Fabricating a new bucket from the pattern should be pretty simple.
After (in the shade)
After (in full sun)
Making a pattern
Family and work have eaten up a lot of time. Bad weather made it extra tough to get things done, so I have not had much to post. Here are some pics of the GMC hood I bought last fall. It is in very nice shape but I still plan to make a few repairs.
The light buckets are solid. New lenses and gaskets will be installed.
My original 1965 PS fender was solid but dented from something the truck sideswiped. I did not consider using it but after about 30 minutes of bumping out dents, I think it will work just fine.
I did manage to get a few things painted with POR-15.
See my BLOG entries from prior months below:
My Hobbies are:
- Main BLOG Page
- The Purchase
T5 Info Page
- Thinking about installing a T5? READ THIS FIRST
- My T5 videos
- Making a Custom Shifter
- Complete T5 Driveline - Installation from Engine to Rear Axle
- S10 T5 Transmission Jeep Shaft Swap - DIY and skip the adapter plate.
- Camaro Drive Gear Relocation
- T5 Tail Stock with a Cable Speedo Connection
- World Class and Non-World Class versions of the T5 - How to tell them apart.
- A possible solution for cable speedometers.
- T5 Transmission Identification - What the Tags and Markings Mean
- What's the difference between a Camaro T5, an S10 T5, and an Astro T5?
- How to determine the T5 gearing
- T5 Transmission Rebuild
- T5 pre-purchase inspection and questions
- T5 Resource List
- T5 Case Inspection
- Bell housing differences
- T5 Drive Gear and Driven Gear Combinations
- A Camaro T5 with the S10 Conversion
Tips & Tricks Section
- DIY 3 Point Seat Belt Installation
- Easy Clutch Pedal Adjustment
- Making the Steering Column Safer
- How to improve gauge cluster lighting.
- Stripping Paint - Polycarbide Abrassive Wheel
- Jeep Cherokee Door Check Modification - Very Simple
- Keeping the hood aligned
- Conversion to dual master cylinder brakes 1963-1966 C10.
- Steering column modification
- A simple way to remove old control arm bushings.
- An easy way to adjust brake shoes
- How to remove a pilot bushing from the crankshaft.
- Cutting spot welds
- E-brake clip removal made easy
- POR 15 with less mess.
- Engine Dolly - EZ to make
- Harminic Balancer Installation - Tapping threads in the crank
- Steering Wheel Restoration Page
- Other Projects
- Random Pics
- New Page