Media blasting parts really makes a difference. It gives the parts the right amount of texture for using POR-15. I did the battery tray, radiator shroud, upper and lower grille support brackets and headlight backing plates.
The back side of the grille and grille support had a bit of scale rust. Sandblasting, epoxy primer and then paint is one way to approach it. Instead, I used a wire brush and sandpaper. Then I applied POR-15. The back side or these pieces just needs protection from future rust and POR-15 will work just fine.
Working on my original grille made me curious about the condition of the Chevy bus grille I bought a few months ago. I'm considering using it instead of the original grille. The CHEVROLET badge above the grille can easily be mounted inside the center opening after removing the bowtie. I've seen another like it done in chrome and it really looks nice. Write a comment and tell me what you think.
I'm not finished stripping the paint yet, but I wanted to lay the badge inside the opening just to give you the general idea of what it will look like. The badge will be trimmed and mounted on brackets from behind.
Here's one that someone else did in chrome. WOW!
There was a light drizzle today, so I had to try and work in the garage. My original grille is very solid and will only need a few minutes of bodywork. I will media blast the headlight backing plates and then rivet them back in place. I stripped most of the paint off the grille but have some areas that I'll need to media blast if a wire wheel can't get it done.
See my BLOG entries from prior months below:
My Hobbies are:
- Main BLOG Page
- The Purchase
T5 Info Page
- Thinking about installing a T5? READ THIS FIRST
- Making a Custom Shifter
- Complete T5 Driveline - Installation from Engine to Rear Axle
- S10 T5 Transmission Jeep Shaft Swap - DIY and skip the adapter plate.
- Camaro Drive Gear Relocation
- T5 Tail Stock with a Cable Speedo Connection
- World Class and Non-World Class versions of the T5 - How to tell them apart.
- A possible solution for cable speedometers.
- T5 Transmission Identification - What the Tags and Markings Mean
- What's the difference between a Camaro T5, an S10 T5, and an Astro T5?
- How to determine the T5 gearing
- T5 Transmission Rebuild
- T5 pre-purchase inspection and questions
- T5 Resource List
- T5 Case Inspection
- Bell housing differences
- T5 Drive Gear and Driven Gear Combinations
- A Camaro T5 with the S10 Conversion
Tips & Tricks Section
- DIY 3 Point Seat Belt Installation
- Making the Steering Column Safer
- How to improve gauge cluster lighting.
- Stripping Paint - Polycarbide Abrassive Wheel
- Jeep Cherokee Door Check Modification - Very Simple
- Steering column modification
- A simple way to remove old control arm bushings.
- An easy way to adjust brake shoes
- How to remove a pilot bushing from the crankshaft.
- Cutting spot welds
- E-brake clip removal made easy
- POR 15 with less mess.
- Engine Dolly - EZ to make
- Steering Wheel Restoration Page
- Other Projects
- Random Pics