A good friend gave me some 1/8" steel plate and 1.25" square tube scrap metal. The metal needed a good cleaning since it had some rust from being outside. It really is a lot of work to get everything measured, cut out and de-burred. I also cleaned up the leg extensions so they will telescope nicely.
Building an engine run stand seems like a fun and worthwhile project. It will allow me to test my new 230ci engine for leaks and performance before I install it in the truck. Yesterday I bought some steel and cut some of the pieces. I also cut some pieces from the sheet metal that was in the bed of the truck when I bought it. This project will probably take up most of December to build.
I mocked up the cut pieces. The center cross member hasn't been cut to the right length yet.
I bought a barely used carpet that was removed from a 1973-87 C10. It came with all the padding too. Not bad for only $5. Installation has been a struggle. Needless to say, the fit is not perfect. It's a little too narrow and I have lumps. However I'm pretty sure I'll like how it reduces the noise in the cab.
Core Shifters offers a great selection of shifter parts. They offer bases, sticks, knobs and many hard to find shifter items. Click HERE to visit their home page. Click on any of the photos below to view that item. They have many more to chose from.
Borg Warner apparently built T4 transmissions inside T5 cases, at least some of the time. Usually, a T4 transmission won't have a bulge for the 5th gear on the tail stock, but some do. So if you are looking for the hard to find T5 tail stock with a cable connection, don't pass up taking a careful look at a T4. It just might have a 5 speed tail stock and cable speedo connection like this T4. I'll remove the 4 speed shift guide plate and install one from a 5 speed.
Last night I drove 210 miles round trip to buy a slightly used (only 4000 miles) professionally rebuilt 230ci. My worn out 250ci still got 18.5 MPG on the trip which was mostly interstate driving. I'll credit the good MPG to the T5 overdrive transmission which allowed me to handle hills easily at 65-70 MPH. The new 230ci is the blue one in the pics. The orange 250 beside it also needs testing.
See my BLOG entries from prior months below:
My Hobbies are:
- Main BLOG Page
- Steering Column Page
T5 Info Page
- Thinking about installing a T5? READ THIS FIRST
- My T5 videos
- Making a Custom Shifter
- Complete T5 Driveline - Installation from Engine to Rear Axle
- S10 T5 Transmission Jeep Shaft Swap - DIY and skip the adapter plate.
- Camaro Drive Gear Relocation
- T5 Tail Stock with a Cable Speedo Connection
- World Class and Non-World Class versions of the T5 - How to tell them apart.
- How to determine the T5 gearing
- A possible solution for cable speedometers.
- T5 Transmission Identification - What the Tags and Markings Mean
- What's the difference between a Camaro T5, an S10 T5, and an Astro T5?
- T5 Transmission Rebuild
- T5 pre-purchase inspection and questions
- T5 Resource List
- T5 Case Inspection
- Bell housing differences
- T5 Drive Gear and Driven Gear Combinations
- A Camaro T5 with the S10 Conversion
Tips & Tricks Section
- Broken Bolt Extraction
- DIY 3 Point Seat Belt Installation
- 1963 Chevy C10 Steering Column Removal
- 1963 Chevy C10 Steering Column Disassembly
- 1963 Chevy C10 Steering Column Rebuild
- 1963 Chevy C10 Steering Column Installation
- Easy Clutch Pedal Adjustment
- Making the Steering Column Safer
- How to improve gauge cluster lighting.
- Stripping Paint - Polycarbide Abrassive Wheel
- Jeep Cherokee Door Check Modification - Very Simple
- Keeping the hood aligned
- DIY All Cable Ebrake System for 1963-1972 C10
- Alignment Tools - Easier than you think
- Conversion to dual master cylinder brakes 1963-1966 C10.
- Steering column modification
- A simple way to remove old control arm bushings.
- An easy way to adjust brake shoes
- How to remove a pilot bushing from the crankshaft.
- Cutting spot welds
- E-brake clip removal made easy
- Harmonic Balancer Installation - Tapping threads in the crank
- POR 15 with less mess.
- Engine Dolly - EZ to make
- Steering Wheel Restoration Page
- Power Brake Booster Page
- Other Projects
- Random Pics