Yesterday I spent 2 hours at the salvage yard pulling a T5 5 speed manual transmission from a GMC S15 truck. Based on the ID tag, several internet sites confirmed it as having a 0.72 overdrive gear. I got it home and cleaned it up. My joy faded as I found 1 or 2 different websites that said it had a 0.86 OD gear. I had to settle the matter because the 0.86 OD gear will not be good enough. Alas, a couple simple tests confirmed that it's a 0.86 OD, so it's going back for a refund. Too bad!
I wanted to remove my steering column so I got some instructuions from a Chevy truck forum that listed the tools I would need. I didn't realize there was a typo in the instructions, so I've been searching for a 16 point socket. It really should be a 12 point socket, which I've had in my tool bag all along. I got things loosened up tonight just fine. Funny how you get slowed down by some of the small stuff sometimes.
Here are some more pics just for fun.
This tool makes removal and reinstallation of the hood springs VERY easy.
The PO had installed an HEI distributor. It seems to work well. I need to check compression on each cylinder and then install my new plugs and wires.
I don't need to teach you how I did the restoration because there is an EXCELLENT DIY thread already on the web. Click HERE to go to the DIY thread.
Here are some photos of my results.
See my BLOG entries from prior months below:
My Hobbies are:
- Main BLOG Page
- Steering Column Page
T5 Info Page
- Thinking about installing a T5? READ THIS FIRST
- My T5 videos
- Making a Custom Shifter
- Complete T5 Driveline - Installation from Engine to Rear Axle
- S10 T5 Transmission Jeep Shaft Swap - DIY and skip the adapter plate.
- Camaro Drive Gear Relocation
- T5 Tail Stock with a Cable Speedo Connection
- World Class and Non-World Class versions of the T5 - How to tell them apart.
- How to determine the T5 gearing
- A possible solution for cable speedometers.
- T5 Transmission Identification - What the Tags and Markings Mean
- What's the difference between a Camaro T5, an S10 T5, and an Astro T5?
- T5 Transmission Tear Down
- T5 S10 Transmission Rebuild
- T5 Transmission Rebuild
- T5 pre-purchase inspection and questions
- T5 Resource List
- T5 Case Inspection
- Bell housing differences
- T5 Drive Gear and Driven Gear Combinations
- A Camaro T5 with the S10 Conversion
Tips & Tricks Section
- Broken Bolt Extraction
- DIY 3 Point Seat Belt Installation
- 1963 Chevy C10 Steering Column Removal
- 1963 Chevy C10 Steering Column Disassembly
- 1963 Chevy C10 Steering Column Rebuild
- 1963 Chevy C10 Steering Column Installation
- Easy Clutch Pedal Adjustment
- Making the Steering Column Safer
- How to improve gauge cluster lighting.
- Stripping Paint - Polycarbide Abrassive Wheel
- Jeep Cherokee Door Check Modification - Very Simple
- Keeping the hood aligned
- DIY All Cable Ebrake System for 1963-1972 C10
- Alignment Tools - Easier than you think
- Conversion to dual master cylinder brakes 1963-1966 C10.
- Steering column modification
- A simple way to remove old control arm bushings.
- An easy way to adjust brake shoes
- How to remove a pilot bushing from the crankshaft.
- Cutting spot welds
- E-brake clip removal made easy
- Harmonic Balancer Installation - Tapping threads in the crank
- POR 15 with less mess.
- Engine Dolly - EZ to make
- Steering Wheel Restoration Page
- Power Brake Booster Page
- Other Projects
- Random Pics