I sorted out the wiring for the ignition and today I got the 250ci in my parts truck to RUN! It actually runs well. I also did a compression test and all 6 cylinders checked out! That means the 250 will go in my 1965 stepside. I will eventually switch to HEI ignition. Here are some pics of the distributor. I had to adjust the points and check the rotor button.
The PS door handle is in really nice shape.
The 1966 C10 long bed comes with a 2 piece drive shaft.
The 66 parts truck is finally in my back yard. I couldn't get the 250ci started, but maybe tomorrow I will win!
I gave the bed away to a friend who's building a 64 long bed fleetside. He really needed it. The grill has already been removed for safe keeping.
I installed the rebuilt carb that was on my 230ci onto the 250.
The 66 long bed has some interesting looking helper springs.
Today, I finished painting POR15 on the last few areas of the frame. I'll post a photo later.
So from now on, it's basically a job of rebuilding the truck, starting with the drivetrain.
Here's an overview of what was accomplished in Phase 3.
1. Remove everything down to the frame and suspension - DONE
2. Compression test the engine - DONE (bad compression test = need a new engine)
3. Finish cleaning and restoring the frame - DONE
4. Purchase a T5 transmission - DONE
5. Purchase body repair panels - Bought a parts truck instead!
6. Restore the instrument cluster. - DONE
7. Restore the steering wheel - 75% done
1. Install a suitable engine. (The parts truck 250ci might be a good engine.)
2. Rebuild and install the T5 tranny.
3. Get the drive shaft shortened.
4. Body panel and patch panel repairs on the cab.
5. Repair the doors.
6. Apply epoxy primer to stripped body panels.
7. Put the cab back on the frame.
No pictures to post, but I was able to turn the crank of the 250ci engine by hand tonight. So I pulled the plugs and squirted some Marvel Mystery Oil and sprayed fogging oil into each cylinder. I'll try to get it started Thursday.
See my BLOG entries from prior months below:
My Hobbies are:
- Main BLOG Page
- Steering Column Page
T5 Info Page
- Thinking about installing a T5? READ THIS FIRST
- My T5 videos
- Making a Custom Shifter
- Complete T5 Driveline - Installation from Engine to Rear Axle
- S10 T5 Transmission Jeep Shaft Swap - DIY and skip the adapter plate.
- Camaro Drive Gear Relocation
- T5 Tail Stock with a Cable Speedo Connection
- World Class and Non-World Class versions of the T5 - How to tell them apart.
- How to determine the T5 gearing
- A possible solution for cable speedometers.
- T5 Transmission Identification - What the Tags and Markings Mean
- What's the difference between a Camaro T5, an S10 T5, and an Astro T5?
- T5 Transmission Tear Down
- T5 S10 Transmission Rebuild
- T5 Transmission Rebuild
- T5 pre-purchase inspection and questions
- T5 Resource List
- T5 Case Inspection
- Bell housing differences
- T5 Drive Gear and Driven Gear Combinations
- A Camaro T5 with the S10 Conversion
Tips & Tricks Section
- Broken Bolt Extraction
- DIY 3 Point Seat Belt Installation
- 1963 Chevy C10 Steering Column Removal
- 1963 Chevy C10 Steering Column Disassembly
- 1963 Chevy C10 Steering Column Rebuild
- 1963 Chevy C10 Steering Column Installation
- Easy Clutch Pedal Adjustment
- Making the Steering Column Safer
- How to improve gauge cluster lighting.
- Stripping Paint - Polycarbide Abrassive Wheel
- Jeep Cherokee Door Check Modification - Very Simple
- Keeping the hood aligned
- DIY All Cable Ebrake System for 1963-1972 C10
- Alignment Tools - Easier than you think
- Conversion to dual master cylinder brakes 1963-1966 C10.
- Steering column modification
- A simple way to remove old control arm bushings.
- An easy way to adjust brake shoes
- How to remove a pilot bushing from the crankshaft.
- Cutting spot welds
- E-brake clip removal made easy
- Harmonic Balancer Installation - Tapping threads in the crank
- POR 15 with less mess.
- Engine Dolly - EZ to make
- Steering Wheel Restoration Page
- Power Brake Booster Page
- Other Projects
- Random Pics