My tailgate is in decent shape, but has seen some damage over the years. The left side end piece was twisted out of shape - probably by hooking the chain with the tailgate down and then standing on the tailgate. The right side had a nasty dent in the lower right corner.
I used my Harbor Freight Spot Weld Cutter to remove the end pices. Like some people here in South Carolina, it still does a good job even though it's missing a few teeth. LOL! The pictures show how a putty knife helps apply pressure between the pieces so it's easier to tell when you are completely through the first layer.
Once the end caps were out, I could work on the dents and bent end caps. My techniques are a little unusual!! LOL!!! I used a 5 pound sledge and rammed a long piece of galvanized fence pipe down the channel. It worked pretty well.
I then used another piece of pipe to dolly and shape the dent the rest of the way - however, I may end up cutting out this area and welding in a donor piece from the salvage yard since the end result will probably look better than this. It was fun trying to get the dent out anyway.
Attention was next given to the end pieces. They were a bit twisted. A few bends here and there with a crescent wrench, and a few whacks with a sledge while it was secured in a 5" vice was all that was needed to make them acceptable again.
The back side of the tailgate has some nice patina.
See my BLOG entries from prior months below:
My Hobbies are:
- Main BLOG Page
- The Purchase
T5 Info Page
- Thinking about installing a T5? READ THIS FIRST
- My T5 videos
- Making a Custom Shifter
- Complete T5 Driveline - Installation from Engine to Rear Axle
- S10 T5 Transmission Jeep Shaft Swap - DIY and skip the adapter plate.
- Camaro Drive Gear Relocation
- T5 Tail Stock with a Cable Speedo Connection
- World Class and Non-World Class versions of the T5 - How to tell them apart.
- A possible solution for cable speedometers.
- T5 Transmission Identification - What the Tags and Markings Mean
- What's the difference between a Camaro T5, an S10 T5, and an Astro T5?
- How to determine the T5 gearing
- T5 Transmission Rebuild
- T5 pre-purchase inspection and questions
- T5 Resource List
- T5 Case Inspection
- Bell housing differences
- T5 Drive Gear and Driven Gear Combinations
- A Camaro T5 with the S10 Conversion
Tips & Tricks Section
- DIY 3 Point Seat Belt Installation
- Easy Clutch Pedal Adjustment
- Making the Steering Column Safer
- How to improve gauge cluster lighting.
- Stripping Paint - Polycarbide Abrassive Wheel
- Jeep Cherokee Door Check Modification - Very Simple
- Keeping the hood aligned
- Conversion to dual master cylinder brakes 1963-1966 C10.
- Steering column modification
- A simple way to remove old control arm bushings.
- An easy way to adjust brake shoes
- How to remove a pilot bushing from the crankshaft.
- Cutting spot welds
- E-brake clip removal made easy
- POR 15 with less mess.
- Engine Dolly - EZ to make
- Harminic Balancer Installation - Tapping threads in the crank
- Steering Wheel Restoration Page
- Other Projects
- Random Pics
- New Page